I spent a lot of time researching vaccines. I developed a detailed schedule specifically for Peanut after doing this research. I feel like I thoroughly prepared myself to make the decisions I have regarding Peanut’s vaccines. The problem is there’s only so much you can decide from reading a paper.
We have the flu.
It started for me on Friday. Friday night I woke twice as often as Peanut (who was waking more often than normal too). I hardly remember Saturday besides feeling like I was hit by a truck and I also slept awful that night. Sunday continued to feel like death and sadly, so did Peanut too. Actually, she was grumpy and obviously sick, but didn’t really ever seem to feel like she was dying like I did. I’ll go ahead and contribute a bit of that to mama’s milk (another post for another day).
We wouldn’t have even gone to the doctor, but Peanut had a fever of 102, so I called the nurse. She said we should get her in immediately because it sounded like the flu and you can only give anti-viral medication for a short period of time. The only real benefit for that visit is that we got antibiotics for her ear infection, but that’s even kind of pushing it because I probably wouldn’t have given her antibiotics for a minor ear infection if I was in my right mind. They gave us a prescription for anti-virals and in my delirious state, I was ready to give them to her. Luckily my husband was not-so-delirious and said to me “We’ve avoiding giving her medication as much as possible for this long, do we really need to give her this with all of these possible side effects?” So we didn’t give it to her. She did test positive for influenza a while we were there.
After her visit we went to the doctor for me. I was having trouble breathing because of my asthma. I got chest x-rays and I have a small case of pneumonia. I’ve been slowly feeling better, but I still don’t feel great at all. The doctor said that with the pneumonia I’ll be coughing for 2-3 weeks. Exactly what I need at school.
The biggest part is the lack of going into society. The internet says that adults should stay inside for a week after they started getting sick, but the after hours doctor we went to on Sunday said 3-5 days depending on how you feel. For Peanut though, her doctor said 7-10 days because kids are contagious longer. This means that we will miss over a full week of appointments. That’s rescheduling picking up our half a cow, music class, my school for a week (the second week of the semester, which makes me look great to my teachers), my doctor appointment, our dog training (can’t reschedule that), Daddy’s basketball game, Toddler LLL, and possibly messing up Squeed’s mom’s first day of her class that we’re supposed to watch Squeed for depending on whether or not she wants to risk getting sick by letting us watch her Thursday. Considering I don’t even work and only go to school part-time, a week off still screws up life.
So this all makes me re-think our decision to not vaccinate against the flu. People on Twitter are telling me I would have probably gotten sick anyway because it doesn’t entirely protect you and doesn’t always protect against the right flu. This was the original conclusion I came to also, but I almost wonder if it would be better to just decrease it or have a chance of not getting it. I don’t know. I’ve also always thought of myself as a healthy adult that’s in a low-risk category, but my asthma obviously makes that not so. So am I willing to get pneumonia again? I’m certainly not excited to cough like this for the next 3 weeks.
So has anyone out there actually gotten the flu and still decided not to vaccinate against it? Or possibly getting the flu did change your mind about vaccinating?