This blanket was hard. I ripped it out literally a dozen times. I told my husband over and over again that if I had to rip it out again, that I was going to give up and find a different present to make his mother for Christmas. Every time though, it just made me that much more determined to finish it. And I did.
I used the Hemlock Ring Blanket pattern and I’m pretty sure the yarn was Lion Brand Wool-ease, but I’m not certain of that because it was part of a big bunch of yarn that my aunt gave me and it didn’t have a tag. The picture above is when it was blocking and I wish it would stayed this way, but sadly it bunched up a bit after the blocking was done. I’m hoping that after she’s washed it a few times that it’ll lay more flat. A friend of mine who has also done this pattern suggested I move up a needle size halfway through the feather and fan, but I didn’t do it because I didn’t have that needle size in a circular. If I do the blanket again, I’ll definitely try that out. And I’ll probably do this blanket again because it’s beautiful.
Another thing that helped me a ton was putting markers between each repeat. You’re essentially doing the same thing 7 times in each row and if you’re off, you have to rip out the whole row. I didn’t know that until the end when I wouldn’t be at the end of the repeat like I was supposed to be, which was super frustrating. Knowing when I’m in the repeat that’s actually the problem helps me to fix it right then if I can. Once I did that, there was no more ripping out of rows. I still kept my lifelines though just in case and I’d suggest you do them too.
Lastly, there’s a yahoo group for this pattern that was nice for searching when I had an issue. Also, when you join the group they send you a file of the chart written out, which is nice for me because I don’t like charts.
Overall, it was time consuming and frustrating, but the end result is beautiful. As I said above, I’ll definitely be doing this pattern again. I’d recommend you try it out too.