We’re down for the count around here. Other than the fact that I read 79 pages of text on evolution over 5 days (procrastination is not your friend!), we seem to have come down with whooping cough (or something similar). That means that all of my day is spent comforting poor Peanut who is not only coughing her brains out, but also vomiting for the first time. Regardless, keep your expectations low in terms of content for at least the next couple of weeks. Until then, I’m still reading! I wanted to share some of the most interesting/helpful things I’ve read over the last few weeks. Hopefully this gives you all some interesting things to read too!
- Rebirth: The Things We Don’t Say from The Sage Mama. “A new self did emerge. This is what women do not tell each other. I want to say it here: You will die when you become a mother and it will hurt and it will be confusing and you will be someone you never imagined and then, you will be reborn.” Reading this has made me cry multiple times. So beautiful. So true.
- Sh*t Crunchy Dads Say from Mama Natural. On a funnier note, this one made me laugh out loud. My husband even thought it was funny. Though they forgot to put “Look honey! There’s a crotch dangler!”
- 10 Ways to Simplify Without Becoming a Minimalist from Small Notebook. I used the clean up to a song thing and it actually worked! So much so that Peanut asked me to do it in two more rooms! Might have had something to do with the fact that the songs we were playing were from the Tangled soundtrack. 😛
- Club Unicorn: In which I come out of the closet on our ten year anniversary from The Weed. This isn’t a blog that I regularly read, but a friend posted it on Facebook and I found it to be fascinating. I won’t even begin to pretend I understand their situation, but I do think that sexuality is fluid. It’s not straight or gay or lesbian or bisexual. There’s a whole realm of in between. I’m not personally LDS, but I live in a state with a very high population of mormons, so I find that aspect of it interesting as well. It’s all about what works for you.
- It Happened. Even If You Didn’t See It On Facebook. from The Minimalist Mom. While I do keep my Facebook account, I am making an effort to not share every little detail of our lives with the whole world. It’s actually refreshing. Facebook can be a wonderful place to keep in touch with those who we don’t get to see often, but it bothers me when people start using Facebook in place of face-to-face interaction. Family members that haven’t met Twig in person telling other people how cute she is, friends who won’t text me back “liking” my statuses. I just get tired of it. So, I choose to “keep some of the beauty in [my] life all to [myself]”.
- Homemade Cough and Cold Syrup from Modern Alternative Mama. This one is particularly useful to us as Peanut is coughing so hard that she throws up. Honestly, she’s just throwing up too, but still. Awful coughs are awful. I’m making some of this as I type (Don’t worry. I’m not that talented. It’s just simmering.) and I’m excited to use it. Also, if you haven’t read her vaccine series, you should. It starts here. It’s a wonderful consolidation of information and she’s very thorough on her sourcing. No fact or number goes without a source. Very, very useful.
Happy Sunday and happy reading! Hopefully we’ll soon return to the world of the well and I’ll find time to post more frequently again!